Saturday, February 8, 2014

Making mini-books for beginning readers, with no tape, glue, or staples.








When Johnny could read only words of three letters, plus a few sight words, I made a half-dozen of these mini-books out of a single sheet of paper without using any glue, tape, or staples.


Fold the paper into eighths, starting with one lengthwise fold, then making three crosswise folds.

















Johnny made one of his own. It's another story about his Dad, Owen. This time Owen heroically moves boulders that had rolled into our yard. Johnny suggested that Owen read it whenever he feels depressed about himself.

Here's a little bit of Johnny's book: 









5 comments:

  1. His letters are nearly uniform in size! What a steady hand!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Danny, I was just recently thinking about your nice handwriting that you had when you were 5 and 3/4. We still read the copy of Bears in the Night that you gave me for my 5th birthday, and you wrote a very nice inscription inside the front cover.

      Delete
  2. Great idea, I have some avid book writers in this house and it bothers me how much paper we go through, this is such a clever way to keep all happy, going to try it out now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is awesome! Genevieve, I am enjoying your blog so much!
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete