Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Cauliflower soup with two* ingredients.


*Plus olive oil, salt, and pepper.

I'm always on the lookout for recipes that are delicious, ultra-simple, and don't use processed convenience foods 

Even if you are not a cauliflower enthusiast, try this recipe. It has a velvety, creamy texture and a surprisingly complex flavor. And look how simple it is:

      Cook an onion in olive oil on low heat. Boil it with a head of cauliflower that has been
      chopped into florets and salt to taste. Puree. Garnish with ground pepper and drizzled olive oil.

Okay, I left out a couple of details, but that's basically it. I wish that I could say I had invented it, but it's from Food52. I haven't yet tried following their directions precisely, because I try to do the bare minimum when I cook. Probably their soup is better than my version. (They add the water in stages, they use a little more water than I do, and they're more careful cooking the onion.)


Here's how I do it:


Cook a chopped or sliced onion in olive oil on low heat for a few minutes. Don't brown it. Technically, you should "sweat" the onion.


Chop a head of cauliflower into florets, and boil it in about 4 cups of water, salted to taste, along with the onion, until the cauliflower is tender.


Let it cool a little, and then puree it in batches, in a blender. Thin with water, as needed.


 Garnish with olive oil and ground pepper.


4 comments:

  1. I am the only cauliflower enthusiast in our family ... more for me. I'm going to try this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you like the soup! I didn't even like cauliflower until recently. I started buying it and cooking it because my husband likes it.

      Delete
  2. It reminds me of Portuguese soups.
    Doug

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's interesting. I didn't know that the Portuguese had a particular style of soup.

      Delete